Tuesday 26 July 2011

Status: Unemployed

I went to the cinema yesterday. Horrible Bosses. Very funny. When buying my ticket, the woman behind the counter posed a simple one worded question: "Student?" My heart sank, my purse shriveled up and my head shook itself from side to side. A barely audible "no" followed, as did her highly unnecessary "ok, two adults." Thank you, but the reiteration really wasn't necessary. I am very aware that my student status has been revoked and has been replaced with the far less desirable, 'unemployed.' Aware because, for starters, my daily routine has altered slightly...

As a student you wake up whenever. Go to a couple of seminars or lectures here and there. Occasionally step foot into a library. Frequently step foot into a pub. Do an essay. Read a book. Sleep. Discuss everything from world politics to the possibility of sliding down the stairs on a mattress. Microwave something. Sleep some more.  Pretty simple, and very comfortable, living.

The life of the unemployed- still living at home I might add- isn't quite as enjoyable.

Still wake up whenever, but feel guilty for sleeping past nine when there's job hunting to be doing. Job hunt. Eat, but feel guilty for wasting time when there's job hunting to be doing. Job hunt. Do the dishes, but resent your single parent's expectation for you to do them when there's job hunting to be doing. Stop doing the dishes. Job hunt, but feel guilty for not finishing the dishes seeing as your single parent will be tired when they get home from work and won't want to do them. Finish the dishes. Job hunt some more, this time in front of Friends, Scrubs or CSI. Consider some form of exercise, but settle instead for facebook whilst of course feeling guilty for not job hunting. Welcome home parent with news of the days job hunting. Have dinner with parent. Watch parent's choice of TV whilst discussing job hunting and whether enough of it is being done. Go to bed. Watch a film/write in blog/read book/anything but job hunt. Go to sleep and dream of job hunting.

Of course, until this job hunting business becomes a bit more fruitful and I have a lovely income, I fear that all I'll be doing is mourning the loss of my student status. And then, naturally, once I do get a job and have no spare time, I'll be mourning the loss of my unemployed freedom.

Life is a bit of a circle. Or should I say bit-ch of a circle?

No comments:

Post a Comment