Thursday 14 April 2011

Stability

Finishing university leaves a person with a horrible sense of uncertainty and inconsistency. What do I do? Where do I do it? How do I do it? CAN I do it? Confronting questions that demand answers and leave you feeling inadequately prepared for life in the real world after the cushy comforts of uni life.

I'm currently finding myself amongst this whirlwind of terror when faced with the prospect of reality, and am desperately trying to cling to anything steady that will give me a sense of stability. 

Stable Clutch 1: Family


I count myself very lucky that I rarely feel the urge to commit a familial homicide. Yes, mum drives me crazy when she tells me to straighten out my socks before putting them in the washing machine. Yes, Tat's (Tata = Dad in Polish. Tat = English derivative created by myself & siblings) numerous phone calls do leave me feeling slightly exasperated. But all in all, my family network is very supportive. Trying to get into the world of TV, Tat's gotten me in touch with an agent. Trying to write the perfect CV, mum's fixing my sentence structure. The help is much appreciated, and I recommend taking advantage (in a good way) of family support. They love you unconditionally- remember that.

Stable Clutch 2: Old Friends


If after eight months of minimal contact you can still start complimenting each other's boobs a few seconds into a greeting, you know you've got a friend for life right there- even if she doesn't want bridesmaids at her wedding... After seven years of being part of the 'good girls' at school, going separate ways for University could have meant that myself and Miss J.S would have eventually lost touch. But every meet up, no matter how long the absence in between, is just as easy as it was on the grass outside the library at school. It's nice knowing that no matter what else is going on in life, there's still a familiar face craving your updates... :)

Stable Clutch 3: Attention grabbing hairballs


Barbie and Toffee. Names don't get any more badass. Fourteen years old now, perhaps they're no longer as stable as I'd like them to be. But they've been around forever, alternating between constant demands for affection and food. When they're not sleeping on my face they're trying to eat my dinner, or they're puking up on the carpet, missing the litter box, scratching the cat flap and growling at pigeons. Wouldn't have them any other way. 

So, if you feel like life is melting in your hands as University starts to become part of your past, find those things in life that keep you grounded. Think of it this way: everyone needs a pipe...





No comments:

Post a Comment